Shiels is a distinctive List ‘B’ eight bedroom period mansion house set within extensive, private leafy policies extending to approximately 2 and ¾ acres, enjoying complete privacy with superb south and east facing uninterrupted views over the beautiful surrounding Aberdeenshire countryside. Dating back to 1742 it was originally the residence of Charles MacKay of Shiels who commanded a merchant ship in the West India Trade from the Port of London. This stunning house has been imaginatively and tastefully extended and modernised over the last 30 years to provide an easily run, but elegant home which retains many of its original features including the main granite staircase, beautiful granite fireplaces and extensive pitch pine panelling. A wealth of accommodation spans three floors with two mezzanine levels; including a south wing offering an ‘atrium style’ family lounge and additional sun lounge which connects the main house to a 17th century Gathering Hall with an arched granite inglenook fireplace.
- Entrance hall with pitch pine panelling and staircase of granite design leading to the first floor.
- Gathering Hall with granite inglenook fireplace, ideal for entertaining.
- Atrium family lounge with large wood burning stove and cathedral ceiling incorporating surround windows with recently upgraded glass gable which is east facing commanding beautiful views of the garden and surrounding countryside.
- Dining room with original granite fireplace and pitch pine window shutters.
- Upper ‘withdrawing room’ with pitch pine panelling and window shutters, and wood burning stove within original granite fireplace.
- Large 4 oven AGA, composite sink and granite worktops.
- Eight bedrooms including a master bedroom with original pitch pine panelling and window shutters, and guest master bedroom with ensuite bathroom.
- Dressing room with custom built fitted wardrobes and ensuite shower room.
- Two conservatories (west and south facing).
- Main family bathroom with his and her sinks, claw-footed roll top bath and separate power shower.
- Approximately 2.75 acres of land and gardens with surrounding wall including a self-contained paddock. The walled gardens have been attractively landscaped and developed to create diversity and interest with manicured lawns and well stocked herbaceous borders.
- Double garage with office and small workshop.
The accommodation is approximately 432 square metres and consists of the following:
Ground Floor: Entrance hall, dining room with pitch pine window shutters, atrium family room, linked corridor and sun room, Gathering Hall with east facing conservatory, kitchen, west facing conservatory, utility room and cloakroom with WC.
Lower Mezzanine: Bedroom 2/dressing room with en-suite shower room.
First Floor: Withdrawing room with large storage cupboard and master bedroom, both with pitch pine window shutters.
Upper Mezzanine: Bedroom 3 and main bathroom.
Second Floor: Bedrooms 4 and 5.
Annex: Bedroom 6 and en-suite bathroom.
Annex Top Floor: Bedrooms 7 and 8, and study.
The garden area is mainly defined by dry stone dykes, grass, shrubs with borders, driveway, mature trees and a self-contained paddock area. At the entrance to the property, there is a double car garage, office, workshop and substantial sized log store.
Shiels offers a private location with fantastic views which all adds to the ambience of this country house. A property you would be proud to call home.
From Aberdeen: From the city centre head west on either Langstract or Skene Road which passes through Westhill, at the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Straik Road/A944 you will continue along this road from here for approximately 10.4 miles. Turn left onto the B993 signposted Torphins and travel for approximately 1.1, you will see the track junction on your left, drive down the track approximately 250 metres to the property.
From Inverurie: Head on the B993 for Tillyfourie for 14.8 miles, at the T junction, turn left on the B944 for 1.6 miles, turn right onto the B993 signposted Torphins and travel for approximately 1.1, you will see the track junction on your left, drive down the track approximately 250 metres to the property.
From Alford: Take the B944 for approximately 8.7 miles, turn right onto the B993 signposted Torphins and travel for approximately 1.1 miles. Shiels entrance is on the left, drive down the track approximately 250 metres to the property.
Extras (Included in the sale) Oil fired central heating, new replaced and upgraded double glazing to the atrium family lounge, mains drainage, septic tank, private water supply. Items of furniture may be available under separate negotiation, fixed floor coverings and blinds are included in the sale where applicable.
The description of properties on the website do not form part of any offer and all statements and photographs are for illustrative purposes only and not guaranteed. Buyers must satisfy themselves on the accuracy and authenticity of each property listed.
Location of Property
By appointment through McEwan Fraser Legal on 01224 472 441
McEwan Fraser Legal are open 7 days a week: 8am - Midnight Monday to Friday & 9am - 10pm Saturday & Sunday to book your viewing appointment.
Part Exchange your property for a home on our site
If you are interested in a property we have available for sale and have your own property to sell, we can refer you to Haddington Estates (who operate independently of McEwan Fraser Legal). They can offer you a guaranteed cash offer for your own property through this unique Part Exchange option which may allow you to sell your property quickly and easily without any Estate Agency fees or advertising costs. This allows you to make an offer for any property on our site safe in the knowledge that your existing house has a firm legal offer.
Mortgage funding may be available through an authorised mortgage broker
McEwan Fraser Legal are working closely with authorised mortgage brokers in order for our clients to obtain mortgage funding (see terms and conditions, which normally apply, below)
- Aged 18+
- You are in permanent employment
- Self Employed usually need to have 2 years accounts available
- Permanent right to reside in the UK
- You have no adverse credit that would affect your ability to repay funding
Should you wish to obtain further information please complete the enquiry form