History & Brief Overview of 'Moffat Academy'
The Academy has a long history! The name "Moffat Academy" dates from 1834 when the local Parish school was amalgamated with the Grammar school, founded in 1639 by a Dr Johnstone. This Grammar school had been housed until 1772 in a building which, according to tradition, stood in the middle of the High Street, but from 1772 until 1834 it was housed in the upper floor of the Courthouse building at the corner of Well Street (the building with the clock). The Parish school was housed in School Lane.
The Academy has occupied the previous site since 1834. In 1873 it was taken over by the School Board. In 1932, the previous building was erected and there have been several extensions since. The Academy was upgraded to full sixth-year status in 1988, and the first School Board of modern times was elected in 1990.
The new Academy began construction in 2007 and was officially opened in early 2010.
The original building occupies a prominent position on the main road through Moffat near the entrance of the town. Its situation and use of a combination of stone that is traditional in Moffat make it a local landmark and the conversion has already had a positive and important impact on the local streetscape. The original entrances to the school were on the side elevations: there would have been separate entrances for Boys and Girls. John R Hill was the County Architect for Dumfriesshire in the 1930s. He also built the rather more distinguished 1936 Art Deco addition to Dumfries Academy. The present building stands on the site of an earlier single storey school, of which the boundary wall and gate piers are the last surviving remnant.
A residential development site for the erection of 15 newly constructed apartments positioned to the rear of the original Academy.
Planning permission was granted on the 7th February 2018 (16/1514/FUL) for the erection of 15 residential one-bedroom units within phase 2 - It is assumed that the plots have no onerous burdens or restrictive servitudes within the title. The original Academy (26 Apartments) is being retained and developed by the current owner.
Gross Floor Areas are as follows:
C01 57 Sq M
C02 57 Sq M
C03 57 Sq M
C04 57 Sq M
C05 66 Sq M
C06 66 Sq M - Duplex
C07 66 Sq M - Duplex
C08 66 Sq M - Duplex
C09 - 66 Sq M - Duplex
C10 66 Sq M - Duplex
C11 55 Sq M
C12 55 Sq M
C13 55 Sq M
C14 55 Sq M
C15 74 Sq M
Parking for 28 Vehicles
Residential Sales Value
Due to the excellent and exclusive location, we feel demand will be high for these units once constructed. We have carried out our own market research and spoken to a local chartered surveyor and would suggest the following re-sale valuations.
C01- C05 - £150,000 x 5 = £750,000
C06 C10 - £160,000 x 5 = £800,000
C11 C14 - £150,000 x 4 = £600,000
C15 - £160,00 x 1 = £160,000
Potential GDV: £2,310,000
We believe that water is currently available on the site and all other main services are located in the vicinity of the site. Phase one is currently under construction, which has access to services. However, prospective purchasers should make their own enquiries with the appropriate service providers.
Further information, which includes supporting surveys, planning drawings and decision notice is available upon request.
The description of properties on the website do not form part of any offer and all statements and photographs are for illustrative purposes only and not guaranteed. Buyers must satisfy themselves on the accuracy and authenticity of each property listed.